Wrap Up and Highlights of the 2011 Games
What else can I say but what an awesome day! I absolutely couldn’t have asked for anything more than how the Games went on Sunday. If I had a dollar for every smile I saw, I’d be a multi millionaire! The day really exceeded all my expectations. Firstly to have 400 people register to play was fantastic, but then to see seven different sports happening at the same time, people running around everywhere in their team colours, face painted, with signs and balloons setup under a sea of marquees, cheering, dancing, laughing and singing was amazing. The teams from Paul Sadler Swimland even brought along Swordy, one of the funniest booty shaking mascots I’ve ever seen! It still gives me full body goosebumps thinking about it all!
Congratulations to absolutely everyone that played in the Games. Even if you weren’t on the winning side of the scoreboard, I have no doubt that you had a wonderful day, plenty of laughs, made some new friends and enjoyed a day with your work mates, family and friends.
As my competitive side now kicks in, congratulations to the winners of all the seven sports including, Connolly Suthers who demolished all comers in the table tennis; the underdog Fraser Osborn Strikers who came from third place to win the big one; the young whipper snappers from JCU’s St Marks College, The Sexual Roos who took out the touch football; the bright orange Brazier Motti Tripods that triumphed in a hotly contested volleyball final; BRIT Attack from TAFE who defeated two previously undefeated teams in a successful netball finals campaign; the Amateurs from JCU’s Rotary College who finished in a flurry of points in the tennis; and GHD Super Spandex that blitzed the field in the cycling relay. An enormous congratulations to GHD, who took out the inaugural Games Champion Business award and hoisted the big silver cup high and sprayed champagne on all and sundry in a victory celebration to remember! A total team of 28 participants, a win in the cycling relay and two semi finals appearances paved the way to their glorious triumph!
There were so many highlights for me from the Games. I would love to hear yours, here are some of mine:
- The handcyclists from Sporting Wheelies in the cycling relay were an absolute inspiration. The upper body strength, endurance and determination of these guys was amazing to witness
- The tension of the touch footy semi final between last years’ winners GHD and the BOC Phat Crankers going to extra time drop offs. The cheerful bright yellow Phat Crankers getting up in the end.
- The frantic pace and electric atmosphere of the table tennis had to be seen to be believed. It was extremely entertaining, there was never a dull moment.
- Everyone that shook their booty and busted a move in the Zumba. The teachers from the Pimlico All Stars and mascot Swordy stick out in my mind, whilst my moves left a bit to be desired.
- The pink, pink and more pink of the DERM All stars in the netball – there was even a pink mohawk
- The Fury making a return to the football arena, the Fraser Osborn Fury that is. Let’s hope they’re back again next year.
- Having played in the 2010 Games, BCK Lawyers and Coutts Redington Accountants registered their first ever wins in this years’ volleyball competition. (We won’t mention that BCK’s win in the volleyball was against the other BCK volleyball team!)
- Cr Ray Gartrell and Cr Trevor Roberts producing masterful ground strokes, blistering serves and steel bear trap reflex volleys in the tennis doubles
- The sitting volleyball demonstration organised by Games charity Cootharinga, showcased the positive sporting opportunities available for people with a disability.
- The live music absolutely rocked the place in the afternoon taking the atmosphere to a new level late in the day
- All the players, families, colleagues, kids and spectators enjoying the yoga, the massage, the food, the drinks, the entertainment – it was all such an uplifting, positive and happy carnival atmosphere!
Now I know I’ve probably written far too much here, but there were just so many wonderful aspects of the Games. I could keep going all day! Feel free to add as many of your highlights as you like also.
Thank you so much to everyone that supported the event – the teams, sponsors, event partners, officials, volunteers, spectators and media. The Games will be back next year and we’ve already got ideas to make it even better. I’ve already heard from a number of businesses that they’re keen to recruit more teams and challenge GHD for the silver cup of the Games Champion Business. In an Olympic year, 2012 is going to be a cracker, so I hope you can get involved again in what is the ultimate team building event.
2011 Ladder, Results and Winners
VOLLEY BALL WINNER: Brazier Motti Tripods
- Grand Final: Tripods (score: 45) v Pimlico All Stars (score: 41)
- Semi Final 1: Pimlico All Stars v Beaches (WIN: Pimlico All Stars)
- Semi Final 2: Tripods v Cootharinga Champions (WIN: Tripods)
|1||Pimlico All Stars||94||12||3||0|
|16||ALS Dirty Devils||-84||0||0||3|
TOUCH FOOTBALL WINNER: The Roos
- Grand Final: The Roos (score: 7) v BOC Phat Crankers (score: 2)
- Semi Final 1: BOC Phat Crankers v GHD Jazz Flutes (WIN: BOC Phat Crankers)
- Sem Final 2: The Roos v RST Airconditioning (WIN: The Roos)
|1||BOC Gas and Gear||33||12||3||0|
|4||GHD Jazz Flutes||29||8||2||1|
|5||Step Touch Potential||18||8||2||1|
|9||North Shore Rockstars||-7||4||1||2|
|13||Can’t Touch This||-36||0||0||3|
TENNIS DOUBLES WINNER: Amateurs
- Grand Final: Amateurs (Score: 7) v Suncorp Bank Johnnies 1 (Score 2)
- Semi Final 1: Suncorp Bank Johnnies 1 v Cootharinga Colts (WIN: Suncorp Bank Johnnies 1)
- Semi Final 2: Suncorp Bank Johnnies 2 v Amateurs (WIN: Amateurs)
|1||Suncorp Bank Johnnies 1||24||12||3||0|
|2||Suncorp Bank Johnnies 2||11||12||3||0|
TABLE TENNIS DOUBLES WINNER: Connolly Suthers
- Grand Final: Connolly Suthers (Score: 10) v Cootharinga Spinners (Score: 0)
- Semi Final 1: Connolly Suthers v Bizrich Zoomers (WIN: Connolly Suthers)
- Semi Final 2: Cootharinga Spinners v GHD Pink Paddles (WIN: Cootharinga Spinners)
|3||GHD Pink Paddles||2||8||2||1|
|6||Zoom in Business A-Team||-20||0||0||3|
FOOTBALL 6’S WINNER: Fraser Osborn Strikers
- Grand Final: Fraser Osborn Strikers (score: 2) v Bulletin Bandits (score: 0)
- Semi Final 1: Bulletin Bandits v Fraser Osborn Fury (WIN: Bulletin Bandits)
- Semi Final 2: ALS Analyse This v Fraser Osborn Strikers (WIN: Fraser Osborn Strikers)
|2||ALS Analyse This||1||8||1||0||2|
|3||Fraser Osborn Strikers||0||6||1||1||1|
|4||Fraser Osborn Fury||-2||2||0||2||1|
NETBALL WINNER: BRIT Attack
- Grand Final: BRIT Attack (score 11): v DERM All Stars (score: 9)
- Semi Final 1: Brazier Motti v BRIT Attack (WIN: BRIT Attack)
- Semi Final 2: DERM All Stars v TCC (WIN: DERM All Stars)
|2||DERM All Stars||22||12||3||0|
|7||The Brew Crew||-14||4||1||2|
|9||HR Hot Rollers||-30||0||0||3|
- 1st – GHD Super Spandex
- 2nd – WHK We Have Kilometres
- 3rd – Fraser Osborn Strikers
All places and times still to come